**UPCOMING JASON PURE SHOWS AND DATES**

More shows to come soon... in the meantime,"To Whom It May Concern...", my musical letter to all of you, is available NOW on iTunes, Amazon.com and Google Play!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Album Reviews: Ne-Yo, Jazmine, Jennifer and more...

Yeah, I've been on a CD buying kick lately, and haven't had time to review them for you guys... until now. Here's some quick snapshots of what I'm listening to:

Chanté Moore - Love The Woman
One of the best (and most underrated) voices in R&B returns with her first solo album in some time. This album falters only when Chant
é leaves the more classic material in favor of more contemporary radio fare.

Standouts:
"It Ain't Supposed To Be This Way"/"Give Me Time"/"Love Action"/"Guess Who I Saw Today"

J-Graded: B




Ne-Yo - Year of The Gentlemen
Music's preeminent songwriter stakes his claim as an artist with his third outing. It's very enjoyable, but not necessarily very memorable.

Standouts:
"Closer"/"Mad"/"Fade Into The Background"/"Part of The List"


J-Graded: C+



Jazmine Sullivan - Fearless
Only 21, but already a music industry veteran, Jazmine's voice is amazing, and her songwriting abilites are also strong. The subject matter is not as varied as the distinct textures of the songs, but time and more growth could make this young woman one of the greats.

Standouts:

"Bust Your Windows"/"Lions, Tigers and Bears"/"After The Hurricane"/"Dream Big"/"Fear"

J-Graded: B+





Jennifer Hudson - Jennifer Hudson
Overall, a mediocre debut from a formidable talent. Yet, there are still strong songs to be found, which may be enough to keep her in radio's "spotlight".

Standouts:
"Spotlight"/"Giving Myself"/"My Heart"/"I'm His Only Woman"


J-Graded: C



Kenny Lattimore - Timeless
Now separated (musically) from his wife, Kenny Lattimore uses his vocal instrument to tackle a diverse collection of covers.

Standouts:

"Everybody Here Wants
You"/"You Are My Starship"/"And I Love Her"/"Undeniably"

J-Graded: A




The Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination
Nicole + 4 are back with her... I mean their sophomore effort, and it's a pretty solid one. Funny how Nicole couldn't go solo though... I guess she does need her backup dancers after all.

Standouts:

"When I Grow Up"/"I Hate This Part"/"Elevator"/"I'm Done"


J-Graded: C+




Solange - Sol-Angel and The Hadley St. Dreams
Beyonce's little sister finds refuge from her sister's ubiquitous shadow in the musical stylings of the 60s. This sound also lends itself well to her sometimes cryptic lyrics.

Standouts:
"T.O.N.Y."/"Sandcastle Disco"/"I Told You So"/"Cosmic Journey" feat. Bilal


J-Graded: A-



No comments: